04 September 2009

Hankies

I have an obsession with hankies.
Yes. Hankies.

My Grandma McGuire is a hankie user and always has one or two stashed in her purse or pocket. She buys most of her hankies at garage sales for less than $1, and they all have pretty vintage patterns printed on the fabric. I find garage sales to be very dangerous places for me to frequent with cash in my pockets. I have neither the space nor the funds for that hobby.

I have found a few hankies at local antique stores, but I have a difficult time justifying spending $5-6/hankie when I know my Grandma spends so much less. Department stores sell men's hankies, but I have yet to find women's hankies in similar places. Why is this?
I have managed to find a few online places that sell hankies. A while ago I even bought some from the Moda Home site. I actually use them everyday. I love the vintage designs.

A few other hankie sites I've found online are:
Hank and Cheef - http://hankandcheef.com/shop.html
Hankettes - http://www.hankettes.com/qs/category/8/148/0/0

I haven't purchased hankies from either website, but I am thinking about it.

What kind of fabric would one use to make their own hankies?